Thursday, December 23, 2010

Interview with Andreas "Big Daddy" Kraniotakes

The first time the American audience had ever heard of the power heavyweight was when he was announced as one of the fighters to be featured in EA Sports MMA, and the only German. I had remembered Andreas' name from the game roster, and when he followed me on Twitter, I fired off a simple question to him, "How'd it feel to get into EA MMA?" His willingness to respond gave me the idea to make it a full blown interview. This is the interview done through Twitter's messaging system, edited for clarity and grammar.
MP: Quick question, how'd it feel to get into EA MMA?
AK: Hey, thanks for the follow. I am looking forward [to] some MMA discussions and lots of great tweets. I feel honored, thanks for the question.
MP: You're welcome. ... UFC 122 was banned from broadcast [until after midnight local time] for "excessive violence". Do you, as a German mixed martial artist, see that same attitude lasting for a long time or will it end soon enough?
AK: MMA was banned from German television. It was a political move influenced by the boxing lobby, but we will be back on TV pretty soon! MMA can't be stopped. As I am working on it full time, it is moving in the right direction pretty quick. I do a lot of media work you know!
MP: I guess the "excessive violence" crowd doesn't do their research. The death toll from boxing is exponentially higher than MMA's.
AK: That's why I try to educate the public. But it is pretty hard to convince hard headed krauts!
MP: I seriously laughed for five minutes after that last message. Did you ever finish your thesis on martial arts and their effect on the public?
AK: I am still writing it. It is pretty hard though. [I] have to train, work, study, that's three jobs. [I] wish MMA would pay the bills already!
MP: Do you know of any up-and-coming German promotions?
AK: The best German promotions [are] Respect FC, GMC, and maybe Mix Fight Gala.
MP: So, a big question on my mind: are you in talks with anyone currently about contracts?
AK: [I'm] always in talks with some organizations. But nowhere [near] closing a deal. I think I'll need one or two more wins in medium organizations for it.
MP: Did you have an inspiration for getting into MMA, besides the fact that it's the best sport in the world of course?
AK: I just liked the challenge at first. Then it became my way of life; now it's like breathing to me.
MP: Do you have any favorite fighters?
AK: [My] favorite fighter of all time is Bas Rutten, just because of his personality. [The] best heavyweight right now is Overeem. Unstoppable!
Afterwards, he used the word "honored" that I would want to ask him questions. I was impressed that he would be honored by me, an American just looking for an internship in the MMA business. Hopefully we'll see him in the States for a big organization pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment