Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Interview with Bill Hoyler

For my second interview, I took a few minutes to talk to Bill Hoyler on Twitter. Bill is a big MMA fan who has had some form of pancreatic cancer for over five years; this is his fourth fight.
TPS: First of all, how long in total have you been battling pancreatic cancer?
BH: I've had it for over 5 years. It was found in an ultrasound and I was told January 7th of 2006. I'll never forget the day or date.
TPS: Dang bro. Did you choose to focus your awareness campaigns on MMA because you're a fan or do you train?
BH: Well, I've been a fan of MMA since UFC started in 93. I trained in Martial Arts for 12 yrs. Isshin Ryu- 7yrs, Tae Kwon Do- 4yrs and Kenpo- 1yr. If not for partying and lack of focus, I could have done something more with it. But, I watch MMA every day.
TPS: Could you describe what it is you do for cancer awareness? There's probably way too much to list in Twitter-length I know.
BH: Well, I have a page on Facebook that helps people who have questions about dealing with either having cancer or if they know someone with it. Twitter has been great as well. Outside of the internet, I have been helping in the Tampa Bay area with the hospital I go to and foundation I work with. I want to answer in more detail but they dont have enough room on here.
TPS: The limitations of the software go far and wide my friend. Have you ever been put in contact with any of the UFC top brass?
BH: Jennifer Wenk, but she hasn't responded to messages left by the head of PR at the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Joe Rogan txt me to say the ufc won't work with any other charities.
TPS: Other charities meaning besides the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund?
BH: Exactly. I don't know why. Joe never gave me an explanation on it. I want to try Strikeforce if the UFC doesn't work. I just think MMA is perfect for awareness of PC and cancer in general. Talking to someone high up in the UFC would help me out so much. I want to be the face of Pancreatic Cancer Awareness and use MMA to help me.
TPS: Well something you said that I was really interested in was the "Fight for Cancer" idea. Do you believe it could pull the millions Fight for the Troops has?
BH: I think it would raise as much, if not more, than Fight for the Troops. Cancer has affected everyone. Everyone I know has been impacted by cancer; I'm sure you have been as well. But, I want to focus on Pancreatic Cancer for different reasons, including my own personal ones.
TPS: So, depending on the promotion (Strikeforce or UFC) what would be your dream main event for such a card?
BH: For Strikeforce, I'd like to have someone like Tyrone Woodley and Nick Diaz. The UFC would be Roy Nelson and Frank Mir. I never really thought about it.
Well, it's true. Everyone has been impacted by cancer, including me. My Aunt Bonnie is a new breast cancer survivor. This is a big deal and it would be sick if one of the big promos stepped up.
If you would like to follow Bill, on Twitter he's @Pancancerfightr. I couldn't get the FB link from his website to work, otherwise I'd give that out too. The one-man-show here at TPS will definitely be praying and rooting for Bill as he goes through this again.

1 comment:

  1. Bill is a strong fighter doing amazing things for all of us suffering from this deadly disease!!

    ReplyDelete